Red Velvet Melting Moments With Vanilla Cream Cheese
Makes approx. 20 individual/10 filled biscuits
250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
1 tbsp red paste food gel, or as needed
200g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
80g icing sugar
Vanilla cream cheese filling
50g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven 160°C and line 2 baking trays.
2. In a stand mixer, place the butter, vanilla and beat until soft and creamy.
3. Add the red colouring gel and continue to mix until fully incorporated.
4. Sift the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix until it comes together into a soft dough.
5. Using a small ice scoop or spoon, roll the dough into small balls and place onto lined baking tray, leave approximately 5cm between each biscuit.
6. Dip a fork in flour and gently press on top of each biscuits, leaving an indent and to press each biscuit to flatten a slightly.
7. Place trays in the fridge for approximately 15 mins to firm up slightly, then bake for 20-25 mins.
8. When baked, leave the biscuits on the tray to cool for 5 mins then place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
9. For the filling, place the butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer bowl and beat together until pale and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and vanilla and beat until just combined. Place the filling into a piping bag.
10.When the biscuits have cooled, arrange them in pairs and pipe filling on half the biscuits then sandwich together.
11.Serve immediately or stored in the fridge in an airtight container.