Baked Zucchini Chips - Bastoncini di Zucchine al Forno
Fried or baked potato chips are my weakness and especially served with sour cream and chilli sauce. But these baked zucchini chips are just as delicious and you can definitely say they’re a little healthier!
Serve them with my usual sour cream and chilli sauce, even mayonnaise or how I’ve pictured here with my feta, kalamata olive and oregano dip. You can add any spice flavours you desire to the bread crumb mix, either simple salt & pepper, Italian, Greek, Australian native ingredients etc…
Have a try…I know you’ll love them too!
3-4 medium zucchini, washed and ends trimmed
Approx. 2 cups plain flour
Approx. 2 cups bread/panko crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper, to taste
Add other spices to your own taste – eg: oregano, lemon zest, parsley or Australian native ingredients like native thyme and lemon myrtle
Optional: Olive oil, to spray or drizzle over crumbed zucchini
1. Preheat oven 180°C and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. Cut each zucchini in either half or thirds then each piece cut into quarters (similar to a baton shape), pat dry and place aside.
3. For the crumb, prepare three bowls as follows:
Bowl 1: flour
Bowl 2: egg wash - whisked eggs with approx. 3 tablespoons water
Bowl 3: bread or panko crumbs with your chosen spices, finely chopped
4. Roll and coat each zucchini piece firstly in the flour, then in egg wash, finally in the crumbs.
5. Place all coated zucchini onto your prepared trays with the skin side facing down. Space them an inch apart to allow for even baking.
6. Optional – spray or drizzle with olive oil.
7. Bake in preheated oven for approx. 25-30min or until golden and crispy to your liking.
8. Enjoy with your own delicious mayonnaise, sauce or dip!